Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Three Weeks Before Training

In less than three weeks I'm off to NMPS in Norfolk, VA to start my official pre-deployment training. I am going to Iraq for one year - the last year during which american military personnel are welcome in the country. This is such an exciting and interesting time to be deploying; I have very little idea what to expect - the State Department is supposed to be taking over as our mission winds down, but we'll still be there, working every day. Although I'm very focused on my upcoming deployment, I can't help but be disturbed by today's news about Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT).

Today there was a filibuster to block debate on the bill that would repeal DADT. Not a vote against repeal, but a vote to block debate on the bill. This is an embarrassment to our country - it is institutionalized bigotry, and it doesn't make sense operationally. Why do we care what the troops have to say? Are we going to adapt our policies to the biases of homophobes? Do we cater to racists or misogynists? No! The homophobes have the problem, not the gay servicemembers. Those who oppose repeal of DADT are on the wrong side of history, and it is difficult for me to understand how they don't see this fact. We should separate (fire) homophones like we do racists - you're entitled to your personal beliefs, but if you don't want to be around a certain group of people, that's your problem - we're not going to accommodate your bigotry.

No comments:

Post a Comment